MyCAA Funding

mycaaWith a military spouse scholarship from the Military Spouse Career Advancement Accounts (MyCAA program), learning a new career has never been easier. That’s right, as an eligible spouse you can receive up to $4,000 towards a portable career. Whether your career goals require a certification or an associate’s degree, MyCAA can help. From tuition costs for education or training courses to examinations, you could receive up to $2,000 per fiscal year.

Interested in a program with upfront tuition costs higher than $2,000? An annual cap waiver could be the answer. What’s more, there may be additional funding options. That’s good news. You see, you can use two sources of federal education benefits for the same course or program. Just be sure to use any MyCAA monies for tuition costs only. Simply, contact Military OneSource 800-342-9647 to find out more.

Interested in a medical or legal career? MyCAA can help with tuition costs. Just remember, if you’re working towards a certificate program, it can’t exceed 18 months. Be sure to remember this important time frame, as there are no exceptions. You’ll also need to inform MyCAA when you finish your course work or find employment in your new career. You can do this through the Spouse Portal.

Military Spouse Scholarships and Grants Eligibility

Starting to think MyCAA funding is right for you? If you’re a spouse of a service member on active duty in pay grades E-1 to E-5, W-1 to W-2 and O-1 to O-2, you may be eligible. Keep in mind, you must be able to start and complete your course work while your military sponsor (spouse) is on Title 10 military orders. This is true for spouses married to members of the National Guard and Reserve components in the same pay grades.

Application Process for Military Spouse Grants

Here’s all you do to get started.  Choose a portable career, such as the fast growing medical or legal industry.  To find out if your desired career is portable, contact one of the many Spouse Education and Career Opportunities Counselors at 800-342-9647.  Or simply visit the Tests Page in the MyCAA Spouse Portal  for more information.  You can also visit CareerOnestop for additional info.

Eligible spouses can establish an account by visiting the MyCAA website. Once spouse profile information is provided, MyCAA will verify spouse DEERS benefit eligibility. Eligible spouses will be allowed to create their Career and Training Plan and request financial assistance at least 30 days prior to the course start dates.

Be sure to detail the course you plan to take, including the course name and codes. Don’t forget to include the school, campus location and program type and name.  You may have up to 5 Education and Training Plans in a 3 year funding time-frame. But remember, you may only change your stated career goal once.

The resource section of the Spouse Portal is a great place to look at sample documents. Here’s the best part. Once your Education and Training Plan has received approval, you can request financial assistance. This must be done on a course-by-course basis. Remember to request MyCAA funding within 60 days of the start of the course. With that said, your request must be completed no later than 15 days from the start of the course. Keep in mind, if your courses have different start or end dates, you’ll need to complete separate Financial Aid requests. Be sure to give your request 14 business days to be approved.

Contact us and speak to one of our Milspouse Education Advocates to get more info today.

Share on Facebook
Share on Google+
Tweet about this on Twitter
Share on LinkedIn